I have been asked murmurous times, how I clean my brushes & products. And I always love telling people how proud I am of my sanitary procedures!
Here are my steps on cleaning my brushes:
- I use one of the following soaps to start: Nuetrogena Rain Bath (I also HIGHLY recommend this for a face wash, it's amazing!) Johnson & Johnson Sensitive Skin Baby soap or my Mario Badescu cleanser.
- I use a warm water (never hot) and soap mixture in a glass vase and let my brushes soak for 3-6 hours. *IMPORTANT: Do NOT let the ferrule (that's the top & bottom metal part of the brush) get wet! So make your water high enough just for the bristle part of the brush to be wet) the soap & water will loosen the glue & you will start to have pieces of brush & bristles.
- After your hours of soaking, the water will be brown & black... or blue and pink, whatever you like on your face :)
- take the brushes out and rinse them with hot water (as hot as your can stand) & do it fast!
- Next take the soap you used and pour a small amount into your hand, swirl and rinse the brushes in your hand until the water runs clear
- let them dry on a flat surface or if you can, downward, this takes 10-14 hours to completely dry
- once they are dry, spray them with a rubbing alcohol spray and you're done!
Cleaning my products:
- I clean my products after every client/wedding, just like my brushes
- taking a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol, I lightly spray the products top surface *blushes, eye shadows, lipsticks and cream foundations.
- for eye liners and brow pencils, I run a lighter over them & melt off the first layer of product, spray with alcohol & close the lid
- Mascaras, I use only 3 times... that's three weddings or three clients... NO one ever is touched with the actual mascara wand! I use disposable wands found at beauty supply stores. IF I have to use the mascara wand, it's a fresh out of the package tube of mascara & they keep the product.
I wipe all my boxes, bags and cases down with sanitizing wipes & always make sure my products are as clean as I would want them for myself!!!